Monday, April 30, 2012

Like a child at home

I get it. Or at least, I'm getting in.

I really want to write this out so I don't forget what this feels like. After the anger, which is really just a lot of hurt, it really isn't about who did what wrong. Even though the strongest of strong temptations is to say that I am justified, that daggers have pierced my soul and wounded my delicate mind, even if that's true, I can put the pieces of my broken heart in God's hands. (Is there still a part of me that secretly hopes said culprit will find this and apologize? Of course. But the fact that I don't need that anymore (because a few days ago, that's all I thought would fix the problem), is the reason that I want to remember what I actually feel right now. Sure, I'd still like some resolve, because I just don't like when things don't have a finite ending. But maybe, even with words, they still wouldn't. But the thing is, now--unlike a few days ago, or yesterday even--I am actually in a state of mind where I could talk.) My mind and heart are aligned--where I've stopped creating unrealistic expectations in my mind and letting it go rapid fire, and my heart has caught up, has embraced what is.

I have never been good at being submissive, but I'm starting to. And not doing it begrudgingly, but willingly. So I finally get to feel what I think He has been promising me the whole time, if I would have just let Him in. I was leading choir on Sunday and explaining how the dynamic of the song needed to follow the meaning of the words. And as I described the chorus, I knew--No more a stranger, nor a guest, but like a child at home. I hate crying in public (but as a new friend reminded me, there's nothing wrong with crying; one day I hope I'll really be able to believe that...), but these tears felt so good. I have been a stranger to Him; I have felt apprehensive about being in His presence; but now, now I feel like a child. For the loneliness that I have felt in the deepest, deepest part of me for so long, it is finally being filled. And I guess it's not ironic, that at the same time, all the people who I have loved, and had felt so painfully separate from, seem so much more present. And almost like I love them all better. Because I am loved. And I have let Him love me. (It's frustrating, because words just don't capture what this feels like. Or just how intense a process it has been to let Him love me. But what else do I have but words to record this?) I realize, too, that I could not have asked for this sooner. I am stubborn, and until I was broken like this, I wouldn't have been able to choose submission in the hardest moments.

My computer hadn't been playing DVDs for the past month (maybe as another way, too, of making sure I stayed at least somewhat focused), but I came home Saturday night and was hurting. A lot. Not angry. Just hurt. And I prayed that God would just be with me as I watched Tangled til I fell asleep. I (pride myself on) never asking for things like this--usually I keep fighting it, thinking I can get through it, or try to fix the problem myself (usually by thinking about it, which makes things worse), or...probably other things--but that's when I felt most like a child. It was just something small. I needed to know that He was here. Now. Not that I could push myself, yet further, to keep believing in the one day that everything comes out in the wash. But that I could feel Him now. I think I can ask for that sometimes. And He came. And He stayed. There's still a part of me that feels like I'm taking advantage of Him; that I can't ask for things too often. And there probably is a reasonable limit. But right now, I feel surrounded by His embrace, and I know that even when I can't feel it like this, because sometimes He has to let go, the hope He has given me is no less real. I believe Him! I believe that He really will take care of me. This is the love I have looked everywhere for. This is the taste of Home. And why it's all worth it. Even if nothing turns out how I planned.

2 comments:

  1. "There's still a part of me that feels like I'm taking advantage of Him; that I can't ask for things too often. And there probably is a reasonable limit."

    be careful not to overly anthropomorphize God. especially in attributing human limitations. ;-)

    i'm glad that you were able to feel that lingering circumjacence... that surrounding embrace... that taste of "home". though i jest with you oft, i am truly saddened when i hear of or infer disappointment in your life. but sometimes the idea of "creative destruction" holds true. one must destroy what once was in order to build anew. here's to getting through the "destruction" in order to get to the "creation" (^_^)/

    ReplyDelete